Sunday, December 28, 2014

2015 is my year to NETWORK

Is it yours?



net·work·ing : noun - the exchange of information or services among individuals, groups, or institutions; specifically :  the cultivation of productive relationships for employment or business

Sounds simple enough ... just exchange some info but who is with me that just the mere thought of going into a room of those said individuals to do described exchanging; activates certain symptoms which include (but not limited to) sweat, feelings of inadequacy, heavy tongue, memory loss (yeah ... I had that clever intro in my head and forgot what the heck I had to say ... grrrr), bright and messy sauce magically spilled on my garments, lack of business cards and so much more??  You?  You? And you over there too?  Phew!  Glad to know I am not the only one.  

I acknowledge the simple fact that I am extremely fearful of getting out there to network or if I do get out there, I do a half-ass job that did not truly cultivate productive relationships as the definition says.  So what next?  Keep hiding and doing it poorly?  No!  I will somehow deal with and overcome this paralyzing fear because if I do not then my systematicYOU business will not reach the next level of success. You are with me?  Yes!  Wooo hooo.  Let's do this.

Here are some things that I will incorporate (maybe it will help you too!).
  • Change my mindset about going to these events.  Meeting an individual in person is MEMORABLE.  Heck!  Who wouldn't want to meet me? Hahaha!  All kidding aside, social networking sites are fun but person-to-person is REAL and way more beneficial to me and my systematicYOU business.  So I must get from behind the computer screen and out there!
  • While meeting my new peeps at networking events, I will genuinely be interested in them and how I can help them and not just wait to have the opening to vomit my 30 second commercial all over them.

  • Ask more questions!  Who, What, When, Where and How will evoke more conversations out of them.  Therefore, I will really get to know them.
  • Ask "How may I help you?"
  • Practice!  Practice!  Practice!  I will keep going to networking events until it finally feels natural and not the end-of-the-world activity that my fears make it out to be.

  • Be clear on what I do, how I help and what makes me special.  Let's be real ... there are a LOTS of "coaches" out there so what makes me ... ME?
  • My new favorite F word!  FOLLOW-UP!  Collecting cards and meeting new people is not enough.  To cultivate a true relationship will take FOLLOW-UP!  I will contact my new connections within 24-48 hours (before they forget me).  Because if I don't then I just wasted my time attending a networking event.

  • I will refer people their way.  I have seen the beauty of this first hand.  You send someone their way and they will do the best to send someone your way.




No comments:

Post a Comment